Let's talk about the 'why' rather than the 'what'
In our conversations with clients and potential clients, we often talk about the 'what':
- 'What' training courses do we have coming up?
- 'What' are the features of each course?
- 'What' can we do to help you make your training budget go further?
But perhaps we should talk more often about the why':
- 'Why' bother training your staff?
- 'Why' will investing in your team members pay off?
- 'Why' should managers take on the responsibility for developing their team?
Henry Ford allegedly once said:
"The only thing worse than training your employees and having them leave is not training them and having them stay"
We have to agree. After all, who wants to work alongside or to manage an unskilled, unfulfilled, inflexible workforce?
As a manager, you have a couple of options:
- you can be the kind of manager who believes that personal development is the responsibility of the employee - and leave their self development up to them, or...
- you can be the kind of manager who takes a proactive, supportive role in their personal development, inspiring them to achieve more, motivating them along the way and encouraging their growth
So what are the benefits of upskilling your team? Why bother?
Simply put, because it will lead to a team that is:
- more loyal
- more valued
- more fulfilled
Invest your time and money in their development and they'll be more likely to stay.
Choose not to invest in their development and your organisation will waste time and money re-recruiting and re-training their replacements ....again and again.
Of course you need to look beyond the time and money saving. Upskilling your team makes for a more positive work environment where team members can challenge and support each other. They'll be more flexible, allowing your organisation to be more competitive in a changing market.
Your employees are your most important asset. Investing in them will benefit you as well as them.
Not sure where to start? We're used to helping clients with this bit and we'd love to talk to you about it.
We recognise that you may not need our services right now - maybe you never will - and if we don't believe we can help you we'll tell you that, but let's get the ball rolling with an informal, no obligation chat.
You can contact us on 01392 409 198 or email us at [email protected]
Let's find out if we can help you strengthen your most important asset.