Courses that have matched your search criteria
Being a Leader
*** In 2019, for the first time, we'll be running our 4 day 'Being A Leader' programme as an Open Course as well as In-Company. You can find the 2019 Open Course dates at the bottom of the page ***
For senior managers seeking the space to explore and develop the mindset of leadership, we offer a 4 day Being A Leader management training programme. It is about 'Being' a leader, not doing.
Throughout this 4 day workshop you will have the opportunity to develop a variety of key management skills, from improving your emotional intelligence, through to empowering and engaging your staff to be more productive and efficient.
Great leaders do not become great by continuing to do the same things that made them successful earlier in their career. Our work enables senior managers or those embarking on the leadership path to carefully evaluate the skills, time and values that are required for leadership.
“There is a fundamental dilemma that haunts many leadership development events. Because leadership is perceived as fundamentally about ‘doing’ rather than ‘knowing’, there is an inherent bias towards activity-focussed and indeed briskly paced encounters […] In consequence, there is little time for reflection or strategic thinking. These characteristics of leadership development events are self-evidently in tension with the kind of clear thinking supposedly required of top leaders.”
Storey, Quoted in Exeter University, Centre for Leadership Studies
About the course
Our in-company Being A Leader course is suitable for a group of leaders from within the same organisation.
For our open course, we're looking for a group of leaders from different businesses that align quite closely in terms of management level, therefore we'll ask you to answer a few questions prior to accepting your course application.
This leadership course typically takes place over a four day period. All sessions will be interactive and participatory.
Day 1 - Leading Self, Part 1
- Perfect v. Excellent / Fixed v. Learning mindset
- Neuroscience and why it’s all invented
- Appreciative Inquiry for the organisation
- Strength spotting and working with strengths
- Re-framing to positive
Day 2 - Leading Self, Part 2
- Ladder of Inference (why we react)
- Emotional intelligence and leadership styles
- Know thyself – Personality and behavioural traits
- Why we Communicate differently
- Understanding Change
- Action planning and goal setting
Day 3 - Leading Others, Part 1
- The leadership pipeline
- Delegation and letting go
- Using time effectively
- Group dynamics and effective teams
- Dysfunctions of teams
- Cross-departmental working
Day 4 - Leading Others, Part 2
- Leader as coach and mentor
- Enhanced listening and questioning skills
- The art and science of persuasion
- The psychology of leadership and the power of the environment
- Systems intelligence and systems blindness
- Perceptual positions
The training programme is designed to create a progressive learning journey – each session will reflect on previous action points, lessons learned and impact. The in-company programme will be shaped to fit the organisational needs and optional adjustments can be made, including extending the programme to a more in-depth 6-day course and adding in a reflective ‘homework’ exercise between sessions
Who is this course suitable for?
Whether you are a senior manager or have just taken on a new leadership role, this training opportunity could be perfect for helping you get the best out of your team.
Over the four days, you will experience a progressive learning journey with us...
- Course Length: 4 days (usually 2 + 2 with a break between)
- Course numbers: maximum of 12
- Location: In-Company will be at your offices or at our training venue in Exeter. Open Course training will be in Exeter.
- Who is this training course for? Senior managers, new-in-position senior managers, leaders
- Format: Participatory group sessions
Being a Leader Open Course
- 2019 dates: May 2nd & 3rd, June 20th & 21st 2019
- Cost: £1,000 + VAT (Learning Passport credits do not apply to this programme)
- How to book: Entry is via a simple application process, please email or call us with your name, your job title, the number of staff you are currently responsible for and tell us why you are interested in this course. We'll get back to you ASAP. Send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of the course
- Create a leadership team with the emotional intelligence and confidence to listen, motivate, empower and engage with their staff
- Encourage a culture of self-awareness and strength-based leadership that will drive motivation through positivity and appreciation
“I found the whole experience mind-opening. The opportunity to self-reflect and understand more about ourselves can only help us as leaders of teams. The sessions were delivered at a pace to ensure the group fully benefitted from the experience and Shaun clearly had researched and learned about our organisation prior to commencement"
Didn't find the right course you were looking for?
Why not try a new search