Want your Employee Forum to run more effectively?
If there are more than 50 employees in your organisation, you're probably aware that under the Information and Consultation of Employees (ICE) regulations introduced in 2005, your employees have the right to request the set up of a process or forum that informs or consults them about issues concerning the organisation, also known as an Employee Forum.
Over the past few months, we've been receiving more and more enquiries along the lines of:
- How do we set up an Employee Forum?
- We have an employee forum but few of our members or Chairs have received any training on how to be an effective forum member
- How can we be sure we're complying with the ICE code?
Many of the 'in-company' training programmes we've been delivering on Employee Forums in recent months have addressed the points above and with very positive responses from our clients.
Here are 6 good reasons why you should run Employee Forums
(from the ACAS website www.acas.org.uk)
You should inform and consult your employees because it can improve:
- Organisational performance: time spent communicating at the outset of a new project or development can minimise subsequent rumour and misunderstanding
- Management performance and decision making: allowing employees to express their views can help managers and supervisors arrive at sound decisions that are more readily accepted by employees
- Employees' performance and commitment: employees will perform better if they are given regular, accurate information such as updated technical instructions, targets, deadlines and feedback
- Levels of trust: discussing issues of common interest can engender better management/employee relations
- Job satisfaction: employees are more likely to be motivated if they have a good understanding of their job and how it fits into the organisation as a whole
- Work-life balance: you can talk to all your staff about developing flexible working policies and practices
Want help setting up an Employee Forum or want to revitalise a Forum so that it works more effectively? Please call us for a chat on 01392 409 198