Courses that have matched your search criteria
Overview of course
Our Appraisal Skills one-day workshop is to help managers who have to conduct performance reviews or appraisals. This training course will show you what makes a good appraisal. It aims to remove some of the myths surrounding the process. It focuses on the identification and use of the various skills needed to conduct good appraisal interviews and aims to get past the mind-set of the appraisal being an annual review process around filling in the paper work.
This course is interactive and takes place at our Exeter training suite. We provide lunch and refreshments throughout the day. Our workshop sizes are kept to a maximum of 12 delegates to ensure our experienced trainers have time to help individuals understand any complex points.
Who is it for?
This is for anyone who has responsibility for the appraisal process or who has to deliver performance reviews. As it covers the skills needed and gives practice in them, it is ideal for anyone who will have to deliver appraisals shortly after the workshop. If you have yet to embark on an appraisal system it will clarify what is needed to make the process work effectively.
What will you learn?
You will learn how to manage the entire appraisal process. You will come away with a better understanding of the purpose of appraisals and how to make the exercise engaging. You will be able to use the process to develop your staff and ensure that it is not simply an annual “tick box” exercise but beneficial and worthwhile.
You will learn everything from preparing, conducting and following up after the appraisal. Advice will be given and techniques demonstrated on how to have difficult discussions in a constructive manner.
Where possible, we ask that you bring some examples of issues that you will be facing when doing your appraisals.
- Why have an appraisal system and the benefits
- The importance of on-going performance management
- The spirit of appraisals – setting people up to win
- The skills needed to conduct a good appraisal discussion
- Preparing and timetabling the appraisal discussion
- Setting SMART objectives
- How to move forward on the basis of mutually agreed areas
- Using questioning techniques to give feedback
- How to handle difficult situations and defuse conflict
- Making the whole process a positive experience
Who is the trainer?
Jon Lavin – Senior Crisp Associate
** This workshop can be booked as a one-off course, or as part of our ILM recognised Effective Team Leadership Programme.
You may also be interested in…
- Supervision Skills
- Emotionally Intelligent Leadership
- Essential HR for Managers
- Mastering People Management
- The Advanced Management Programme
Get more for your money with our Learning Passport. Find out more hereDownload a PDF of this course
Benefits of the course
By the end of the session you will feel….
……that you recognise the individual and companywide benefits of a well-structured and planned appraisal process. You will feel equipped to handle performance reviews in a sensitive and professional way.
Other people like you who attented this course commented:
- “Another excellent session with lots of useful information and good team exercises with useful suggestions and ideas.”
- "I really enjoyed today and I am confident it will help me complete my appraisals and general day to day development of my staff"
Didn't find the right course you were looking for?
Why not try a new search
Date Thu 28 September 2017
Venue Compton House (directions)
I would like to book for person
Cannot make these dates? Express an interest in the course and we will let you know when new dates are available
This is also available as an in house course - (for prices please contact us)